Friday, December 23, 2011

Week 24 - Letter to Mom & Dad



Mom and DAD
I love your letters, it’s too bad I don’t have time to read them. HAH  It’s really interesting to compare the mission in Frankfurt with the Comayagüela mission.  Makes me realize how much of a blessing it is to be having all this success.  But the hard part here is retaining the families.  The first family I baptized, the Zepeda family, already stopped coming to Church.  But the other people and families that I’ve personally taught are all very active.  The Amdino family, the Nuñez family, Gerrordo, Juan Jose and Carlos all come every Sunday and activities during the week.  We are working with Gerrardo a lot to help him make the decision to serve a mission, He is 22 yrs old.  It’s one of my goals to have a convert that leaves on their mission while I’m on mine to be my replacement.  Also Juan Jose comes early to Church every Sunday, goes to every fireside and devotional, goes to all of the baptism, and he spent a large portion of his money to buy the scriptures with the leather cover and indentations of the books inside.  It was incredible to see his conversion process.  I don’t know if you know much about Seventh Day Adventists, but they are very very faithful to their religion.  Jaun was Adventist for 50 or 60 years.  He even was a missionary for them for a period of time.  But after only a week or two of reading the Book of Mormon he knew it was true and he knew that he needed to be baptized under the correct authority.  Also another one of y goals it to baptize 50 people in my mission and see 5 families sealed in the temple.

Well some other news, there’s quite a few new rules in the mission.  One of those is the 30 minute internet rule, 15 minutes to write president, 15 minutes to read and write letter to our families. I’m not a big fan of that rule.  But I’m trying my hardest to support president.  Also some other rules are that nobody can go to malls, and we aren’t allowed to teach people younger than 18 unless their parents are being taught too.  So in the future if I have to buy clothes, I’m not sure I’ll be able to without going to a mall.

From what I’ve heard, President Flores has a reputation for being a really strict mission presidents. At  least compared to the others in Honduras.. But It doesn’t matter, I have to be obedient like Nephi, not like Laman & Lemual.

What is your mission president like?  The Missionaries?

Oh yeah, you wanted to know more about my companon.  He is a convert of 4 years.  The only member in his fmily, 24 years old.  We are actually getting along really well.  He only has two months here in Honduras.  Before he was serving in Uruguay, but got sent home for 6 months andnow he’s here.  I think president is trying to teach us something with this companionship.  I’m not sure what he did to get sent home, but I don’t really care to know.  All I know is that both of us have a lot of desire to be extra obedient.  The onley things in which I’m struggleing to have patients with is that he’s pretty cocky.  But I think its just to compensate for some self esteem issues.  But as time goes on its getting better. And also he blew out my speakers by playing the nusic too loud, so now it makes an annoying buzzing crackling sound.  That’s a bummer.

But that about all that’s going on here.

How are things going at the institute?  Are you making friends?  How’s dad’s calling with High Council?  How’s the language.

I love you both, thaks for everything.

Love
Elder Archibald

PS  The spanish isn’t msuper different between the latinos from other countries, just the workds they use are different.  But withmy experience, I’ve gotten along better with El Salvandorenos than Guatemaltecos.

PPS to buy an hour long calling card to the sttes cost 100 lempiras, which is like $5.  I can get a good deal because there is a member that works for a cell company here.  So I’ll by the card and borrow a cell phone to call the Vonage number.  Or would it be better to call a different number?  Or Elder Ray in the office says that he might be able to invite me to use his skype.  But you’d have to talk to him again to set it up and then he cal call me, and then I can call President Flores to ask for pemission.  W You can tell Elder Rayhat do I do?  To tell me during the week.

Can we conference in everybody? (nobody has internet in my area HAHA)



No comments:

Post a Comment